Skip to main content

About the School

School History

Albion Street Elementary School opened its wooden doors in 1892. It sits in the heart of Los Angeles surrounded by historical landmarks. At 130 years of age, it is one of Los Angeles’ oldest public schools. It has served many immigrant families who have come to America throughout many years. It was originally named as Hayes Street School, and in 1903 its name was changed to 19th Avenue School. Then in 1917, it became Albion Street Elementary School. The original wooden building was demolished in 1968. Our school is a reflection of the diverse community we serve. For over a century, Albion staff has worked diligently to provide an abundance of educational opportunities and enriched experiences that the children of Lincoln Heights have benefited from.